A Certificate of Destruction is an audit document that provides information relating to the destruction of your confidential information on hard drives, tapes, disks, or other media. It contains the servicing company’s guarantee that the process complied with all applicable regulations and laws.A typical certificate of destruction consists of:
- A unique serial number for use in an audit trail and other company records.
- Dates of the service company assuming responsibility for the material and its ultimate disposal.
- If the destruction was off-site: details of the custody chain documenting the transfer from the client’s premises to the services company’s premises and details of the destruction process.
- If the material was destroyed on-site: dates and times of the service company assuming responsibility and details of the disposal process.
- The signature of a company official attesting to the fact that the information contained in the certificate is a full and accurate account of the process.