History & Evolution of Our Company
Potomac eCycle had its humble beginnings in 2008 in a small loft above the office at the Potomac Metal’s scrapyard. Thory Monsen and Justin Kidd had begun to observe a significant increase in the number of electronics being dropped off at the facility and vowed to find better ways to recycle them in an environmentally responsible manner while still maximizing recoverable value.
Their combined experience and deep knowledge of the consumer electronics industry allowed them to design ever-more efficient processes to reuse and recycle old electronics.
After demonstrating their innovative approaches they along with the Potomac Metals’ owners, Mark and Eric Zwilsky, (Link to Bios) decided to spin off a new company and officially incorporate the electronics recycling division on January 1, 2009.
Since inception, Potomac eCycle has recycled over 5 million pounds of electronics and is now operating in a state-of-the-art 20,000 square foot facility in Manassas, VA with a team of over 20 employees.
Potomac eCycle LLC is dedicated to processing electronics and components in a safe and effective manner consistent with our commitment to the R2/RIOS Quality, Environmental, Health and Safety Management System. Our goal is to maintain a high level of quality, ensuring a safe workplace for our staff, and promoting environmental stewardship in managing the processing of used and end of life electronics. We have implemented the latest technology and software which helps us improve performance by analyzing data and implementing improvements to achieve superior results. We have documented a Focus Material Plan and identified downstream management strategies. Our staff understands and promotes our commitment to environmental, health, and safety and undergoes thorough ongoing training to ensure competence. Our system complies with federal, state, regional, and local safety and environmental requirements. We are committed to continually improve our management system to ensure the prevention of pollution and the safety of our employees. Our policy is communicated to our suppliers, customers and contractors, and is made available to the public and other interested parties upon request.
Potomac eCycle LLC business operations include IT Asset management, eWaste Purchasing, IT Asset Disposition, Data Destruction, and End of Life electronics recycling. eCycle has conducted internal audits to ensure compliance to all laws and regulations and maintains a “Plan, Do, Check, Act” Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System.
Examples of standards and policies that we adhere to based on the R2 Recycling Standard:
- R2 defines focus materials, or materials that can pose environmental concern, and outlines how these materials should be managed to ensure environmental and worker safety. Prohibits the export of equipment and components containing focus materials to developing countries unless the transaction is legal under both the export and import countries’ laws and the receiving facility is state-of-the-art.
- Requires downstream due diligence on all vendors handling focus materials to ensure materials are handled properly throughout the chain of custody.
- All R2 certified electronics recyclers maintain necessary permits, licenses, and insurance as required by state and federal regulations.
- Recognizing the importance that reuse has, both environmentally and socially, R2 Practices establishes a “reuse, recover, dispose” hierarchy all along the chain of custody for material handling.
- Please visit http://www.sustainableelectronics.org/ for additional information on the R2 certification and provisions.